What I love about soup recipes is that they are adaptable and are great for using up any leftover veg. Instead of throwing out unused veg, make a soup! Food waste is one of the lead causes in climate change, if we all did a little bit to help we could all make a really big difference! And not to mention it saves money.
I rarely buy ingredients in to make a soup but make them based on what I have in the cupboards. For this one I have used onion and garlic for the base to add flavour, along with carrots and a can of butterbeans, you can sub this for any beans you have in, chickpeas, cannellini even lentils would work here too! I also aded in a good few handfuls of kale, again any leafy green will work, sliced greens, spinach etc.
I tried to keep the ingredients quite minimal using just stock and smoked paprika to flavour the soup and it really has a gorgeous smoky flavour! I also think a little smoked paprika works perfectly with tomato based soup.
Finally I added in some pasta, which really makes this soup extra hearty as well adding in extra protein. I must admit I did buy this special pasta in from Tesco called ‘Fusilli Corti Col Buco’ which is an Italian pasta made to hold more sauce and it looked the perfect size to add into soup! But you can use any pasta you have in your cupboards, snapped spaghetti or conchiglie would be my recommendation.
Smoky kale, pasta & butter bean soupDifficulty: Easy
The perfect hearty winter soup with smoked paprika, pasta and butterbeans.
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2 carrots, washed and cubed
4 garlic gloves, minced
1 vegetable stock cube made up to 700ml
1 tbsp smoked paprika
400g tin butterbeans, washed and drained
100g kale, washed
150g Fusilli Corti Col Buco
- Place a large saucepan on a medium heat, add the olive oil followed by the diced onion and carrot, cook for 10 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the passata, stock, butterbeans and kale and smoked paprika, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the pasta and simmer for a further 10 minutes until pasta has softened.
- Serve between 4 bowls with some crusty bread.
- Per serving: Kcal 248 Fat 3.6g Carbs 39.2g Protein 11.1g