The most comforting recipe out there right? When winter has set in Mac and cheese starts to call my name. It’s a meal I have grown up with and reminds me of my childhood after spending cold evenings at horse riding events, coming home to mums Mac and cheese was a delight.
I love how versatile this recipe is, you can add in any vegetable left overs, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks and mushrooms are my favourite. I’ve just gone with broccoli for this version because it is my favourite and a great way of getting in your greens, especially if your little ones aren’t keen, the cheese sauce does a great job of disguising! It makes a great family recipe because it is quick to make, filling and also doesn’t cost much to make.
Broccoli Mac & CheeseCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
A healthier Mac and cheese, with broccoli.
500g macaroni pasta
50g unsalted butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
35g plain flour
900ml semi skimmed milk
tsp mustard powder
Salt and pepper
300g strong cheddar cheese
2 florets of broccoli
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- Place the macaroni in a large saucepan covered with boiling water and cook as per packet instructions until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets, add to pan and bring to the boil and cook for 4 minutes until slightly softened. Drain and set aside.
- To a large saucepan, add the butter and diced onions over a medium heat, cook until soft, then add the garlic, frying for a further minute.
- Add the flour and whisk to make a roux, then gradually add the milk, continuously whisking until it starts to thicken, then add the mustard powder, half the cheese , season well and stir together.
- Add the pasta and broccoli to the sauce and mix well. Pour into a large oven dish, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes, until golden.