Ok I was in my element baking these. What fun twist on a classic gingerbread men. It’s so easy to use your favourite gingerbread recipe and decorated them with a halloween twist.
Today I’m sharing with you my favourite gingerbread recipe, This is my go to, its a softer gingerbread which I love! I don’t want to break my teeth on a gingerbread. It also doesn’t include treacle, I decided this because it’s something I just don’t keep in my cupboards and I don’t want to go and and buy a big jar for it to get wasted and not used! So this uses maple syrup along with Billingtons unrefined dark muscavado sugar yum!
To decorate I used Billingtons unrefined golden icing sugar, this gives off a more yellow tone to classic icing sugar but I love that it’s unrefined and hasn’t been bleached, It also has a more ‘caramel’ tone which is perfect with the ginger!
Let me know if you give this one a try!
Skeleton gingerbread menCourse: Snacks
Skeleton gingerbread men, using unrefined sugar.
350g plain flour, plus extra for rolling out
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
125g unsalted butter
175g dark muscovado sugar
1 free range egg
4 tbsp maple syrup
6 tbsp golden icing sugar
Water to loosen
- Preheat oven to 160°c and line two large baking trays with parchment.
- Add the flour, bicarb, ginger and cinnamon into a food processor and blitz to combine. Add the butter and sugar and blitz again until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Finally add the egg and maple syrup and blitz again. Turn out onto a surface and bring to gather with your hands until a smooth dough forms.
- Dust the surface lightly with flour and roll out the dough until 0.5cm thick. Using a cutter, cut the gingerbread men out and place spaced out onto the trays.
- Bake for 12 minutes, until just turning golden. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to decorate, combine the icing sugar with a small amount of water to make a toothpaste consistency. Add to piping bag and carefully draw on bones.