Yes, crumble season is here! One of my all time favourite desserts, they’re so comforting and I love mixing up the fillings with different fruit that’s in season. Today I’m using Bramley apples, combined with a bit of Carnation caramel, along with a caramel crumble top!
I’ve tried to simplify this recipe so just 5 ingredients are needed! I used half the caramel with the apples and also in the crumble, so there’s no need for additional sugar. I also just used oats in the crumble topping, rather than adding plain flour. I find it yields a crunchier topping just using oats, but if you prefer a softer top add a little plain flour.
I also made this to serve two, I know a lot of my followers like small batch recipes, but this recipe can easily be doubled to serve 4.
Now the ultimate question? Ice cream or custard? I personally love both! I served mine with a clotted cream ice cream.
Let me know if you make this recipe. I love seeing your remakes and hearing your feedback.
Apple and caramel crumble
Caramel apple crumble recipe for 2 with a crunchy, oat topping.
1 large bramley apple (around 190g once peeled and cored)
80g carnation caramel
35g rolled oats
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180°c and spray a small cast iron skillet with oil spray.
- Peel, de core and dice the apple into small cubes. Add this to a saucepan with 1tbsp of water and cook on a medium/low heat for 3-5 minutes until just starting to soften.
- In bowl add the oats, margarine, half the caramel and a pinch of salt and mix to combine
- Spoon the apple into the skillet and dot over half the caramel.
- Top with the caramel crumble mixture and bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Serve with a scoop of ice-cream or custard.
- Serving suggestions not included in the calories.