I honestly can’t believe October is here! I’m not sure if I’m ready for a change in the weather, but I am ready for the comfort food recipes!
I’m kicking things off with the stuffed squash recipe. A roasted squash, filled with chicken sausage, leeks, mushrooms, thyme and a generous cheesy topping. This is such a simple yet tasty recipe, it doesn’t need many ingredients at all! You can easily make this vegan by swapping the dairy cheese for vegan and the sausage for a meet free version.
This recipe takes a little longer, just under an hour in total, but most of that is oven time for the squash to roast. The filling will take about 15 minutes to make and isn’t complicated, it uses 4 simple ingredients, yet is full of flavour!
Let me know if you give this one a try by tagging me on instagram and Facebook.
Cheesy stuffed butternut squash, with chicken sausage and mushroomsCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Simple healthy cheesy stuffed squash, with chicken sausage, leeks and mushrooms.
2 small butternut squash
1 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, sliced
200g button mushrooms, halved
10 chicken sausages, chopped into small pieces
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
100g cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°c and line baking tray with parchment.
- Halve the squash lengthways, scoop out the seeds, and score the flesh. Place the squash skin side down in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Place a large frying pan on a medium heat, add the oil, followed by the leeks and sauté for 5 minutes, then add chicken sausage chunks and using a wooden spoon break up the sausage into small pieces.
- Once the sausage is cooked add the mushrooms, and the leaves of two fresh thyme sprigs. Mix everything together and cook for a further 5 minutes until the mushrooms have softened slightly.
- Add half the grated cheese into the mix, stir through, then remove from the heat.
- Remove the squash from the oven, carefully scoop out the scored flesh into the sausage pan. Mix everything together, then fill the squash halves with the mix. Finally top with the final 50g of cheese, then bake for a final 50 minutes.