I don’t know how I’ve gone for so long without ever making this before! It’s ridiculously tasty and comforting. I don’t know if it was the aubergine that put me off because I’m not the biggest fan of it in some dishes, but it honestly is the perfect pairing in this dish!
What is aubergine parmigiana? It’s an Italian dish of fried aubergine, layered with tomato sauce and topped with cheese and baked. I added in some ricotta cheese, to up the protein and add a cheesy layer too.
Firstly you need to slice the aubergines length ways to make lasagne sheet style pieces. Then I spray my grill pan with oil spray and fry each piece until it is nice and soft.
Then the rich tomato sauce, this couldn’t be simpler! I use chopped tomatoes, beef stock (veg stock if veggie), balsamic vinegar, oregano and salt and pepper.
Then to assemble I spread the thinest layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of my tin, then place a layer of aubergine slices, followed by a few blobs of tomato sauce again, to just cover the aubergine. Then I dot around some spoonfuls of ricotta cheese, then repeat! I top with parmesan and mozzarella for an extra cheesy top!
Let me know if you give this one a try!
Aubergine parmigianaCourse: DinnerDifficulty: Medium
Healthy aubergine parmigiana, a delicious low carb dinner recipe.
2 large aubergines
1.2 tbsp rapseed oil
1 red onion
3 garlic cloves
2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 beef or vegetable stock cube
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
250g ricotta cheese
125g ball of reduced fat mozzarella, sliced
40g parmesan, grated
- Slice both aubergines length ways into thin slices.
- Place a griddle pan on a high heat, spray with oil spray, then fry the aubergine slices for a couple of minutes each side, until softened. Place to one side.
- Add the rapseed oil to a large saucepan then add the diced onion and sauté until soft, then add the garlic and sauté again for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock cube, balsamic, and oregano and stir through. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 200°c , add a thin layer of tomato sauce to the base of a small oven dish, place the aubergine slices over to cover, spoon some tomato sauce over the aubergine, followed by some spoonfuls of ricotta cheese, repeat with another layer, finishing with tomato sauce, then sprinkle over the parmesan and mozzarella slices.
- Bake in the oven for 25 mins.