I’m consciously trying to eat more simple, healthy meals, including more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I sometimes find my self eating too many ‘diet foods’ and not nourishing my body when this is so important for our health. Yes calories matter but so do the vitamins and minerals we put into our body from those foods. I can definitely tell the difference in my energy levels when I’ve been eating empty calories as apposed to fresh, healthy foods.
My goal is to show you all how easy it is to prep tasty salads. One of my go to tips is to cook your grains in a stock, it packs in so much flavour!
I love to serve this dish with either halloumi (as photographed), falafel or chicken. Let me know if you give this one a go by tagging me in Instagram or Facebook.
A simple but tasty tabbouleh salad, served with pan fried halloumi.
150g uncooked bulgar wheat
600ml vegetable stock
200g cherry/plum tomatoes
100g pomegranate seeds
200g roasted peppers
1/2 bunch mint
1/2 bunch parsley
(Optional) to serve-
Handful of green salad leaves
- Bring the stock to a simmer in a saucepan and add the bulgar wheat. Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the bulgar is cooking, prep the rest of the salad. Chop the tomatoes in half, drain the roasted peppers and cut into small pieces and roughly chop the mint and parsley. Add all the ingredients to a large salad bowl along with the pomegranate seeds and give it a good stir.
- When the bulgar is cooked, leave to cool for a couple of minutes before adding to the rest of the salad. Squeeze in the juice of the lemon and mix the salad well.
- Serve with green salad leaves and your choice of protein (I pan fried a few slices of halloumi on mine).
- Salad leaves and halloumi are extra calories.
- Serving suggestions: halloumi, falafel or chicken