The lovely team at Merchant Gourmet sent me some of their Puglia lentils to create a tasty recipe with. I wanted to make a vegan recipe that was easy and comforting with lots of different textures.
This dish starts with red onion, carrots and parsnips roasted, accompanied by crispy chickpeas, truffle infused Puglia lentils and finally a maple, tahini dressing.
Roasted winter vegetables with Puglia lentils & crispy chickpeas
2 tbsp olive oil
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 sweet potato, chopped
1 red onion, sliced into wedges
2 carrots, chopped
2 parsnips, chopped
Fresh rosemary & thyme sprigs
Salt & pepper
1 pouch puglia lentils
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp maple syrup
4 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 180°c.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then tip onto a tea towel and rub them dry them, allowing the skins to come off.
- Discard the skins and tip into a bowl with 1 tbsp oil and mix well.
- Pour the chickpeas onto a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Next prepare all the vegetables, place onto a baking tray with the fresh rosemary and thyme, spray with oil spray. Roast for 30 minutes until golden and tender, turning the veg half way through.
- Once cooked, remove the chickpeas and roasted veg from the oven, season both with salt and pepper.
- Heat the lentils in the microwave as per packet instructions.
- To serve divide the veg, chickpeas and lentils evenly. Add the tahini, maple syrup, pinch of salt and hot water to a small bowl and stir. Spoon the tahini dressing over the veg.