This recipe packs in so many flavours and textures, it’s my go to at the minute for lunch box prep. You will need to put an hour aside to make this dish, but it will make four portions that will keep in the fridge for a healthy lunch on the go.
The Buddha bowl is made up of;
- Spinach leaves
- Roasted red onion
- Roasted sweet potato
- Cooked quinoa (I like the ready cooked pouches from Merchant Gourmet)
- Crispy paprika tofu
- Tahini dressing
I created this recipe during Veganuary when I was conscious about getting enough protein in my diet. This recipe packs in over 20g protein, 10g fibre and hits your vitamin A RDA. So its a delicious balanced meal for any vegan and non vegan.
Protein packed vegan Buddha bowlCourse: Mains, VeganDifficulty: Medium
A delicious vegan Buddha bowl, with roasted sweet potato, crispy chickpeas, quinoa and spiced tofu.
280g extra firm tofu
10ml sesame oil
15ml olive oil
2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1 large red onion
2 sweet potatoes
Olive oil spray
1 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp garlic powder
120g dry quinoa
1 vegetable stock cube
15ml maple syrup
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 200°c.
- Drain the tofu and chop into bite size pieces then add to a bowl with the sesame oil, olive oil, 2 tsp smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and salt then place in the fridge to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- Chop the red onion and dice the sweet potato, place on a large roasting tray and spray with oil spray.
- Add the marinated tofu to a separate baking tray and spread out the pieces so they bake nice and crispy.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl the tofu has just come out of, add the garlic powder and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and stir to coat everything. Tip onto a large baking tray. Place all three trays in the oven for 25minutes
- In the mean time cook the quinoa as per packet instructions with 1 vegetable stock cube added.
- To prepare the dressing simple mix the tahini, maple syrup and lemon juice together, then loosen with a couple of tbsp of boiling water.
- To assemble add a large handful of spinach to each bowl, followed by the roasted red onion and sweet potato, cooked quinoa, chickpeas and tofu. Finally drizzle the dressing over.
- This will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.