I created this delicious vegan recipe for the amazing team at Om & Ah. I actually went to university with one of the founders Charlotte so we were both keen to collaborate!
Om & Ah create beautiful casual wear with amazing empowering quotes on them. Here I am wearing the long sleeve top which says ‘In a world where you can be anything, be kind’. I think this message has never been more important to share. All we can do is be kind to one another, respect one another and we will all get through this together. One thing that helps me relive stress and anxiety is baking and being in kitchen, I hope this recipe can help you do the same.
Any way back to this recipe, I absolutely love how easy it is to make a healthier version of the classic millionaires shortbread and it’s just as delicious. A base of oats, ground almonds, coconut oil and maple syrup. A thick salted date caramel and a chocolatey topping.
These make the perfect gift because they keep fresh for 5 days. I like to put two or three in a cellophane bag and tie with ribbon and drop at friends and family to brighten their day.
Vegan millionaires shortbread
120g rolled oats
120g ground almonds
40g coconut oil, melted
50ml maple syrup
350g medjool dates, pitted
50g smooth cashew or peanut butter
40g coconut oil
2 tbsp boiling water
Pinch of salt
150g vegan dark chocolate
40g smooth cashew or peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 180°c and line a 20×20 brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Add the rolled oats to a high powered food processor and blend until a fine flour forms.
- Add the flour and remaining base ingredients to a bowl and mix until a thick dough forms.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and firmly press the mixture down. Bake for 10 minutes until slightly browned. Place to one side whilst making the caramel.
- Clean the food processor then add all the caramel ingredients and blend until a thick, smooth caramel forms. This will take 5-10 minutes of blending, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Spread the caramel evenly over the base and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Break dark chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl with the cashew butter and microwave in small increments until, melted and smooth.
- Finally spread the chocolate layer over and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.