I wanted to share with you some of the dishes I am creating using store cupboard ingredients. This is great if you have no fresh food in but want to great wholesome dish.
I based this recipe on BBC good foods Lentil Ragu recipe but slightly mixed it up (and missed out the celery-yuk!). I hope these recipes inspire you to start cooking something a little different to your usual.
Store cupboard lentil raguCourse: Mains
1 tbsp olive oil
1 white onion
2 cloves of garlic
300g dry red or green lentils
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1L vegetable stock
450g pasta, I used tagliatelle
90g parmesan, to serve
- Finely dice the onion and garlic and chop the carrots into small cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat and add the carrots, onion and garlic. Gently fry for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the red lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs and veg stock.
- Bring to a simmer, then cook for 40-50 minutes until the lentils are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- When the ragu is nearly done, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta for 8-10 minutes until al dente, according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta, and split evenly between the bowls, and dollop the ragu over the top. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan.