This recipe makes 6 muffins, perfect if you have a small household. I love the simplicity of this recipe and how it yields the most perfect fluffy texture.
I opted to use honey to sweeten the muffins because it compliments the lemon so well.
I used ground almonds as well as self raising flour to give this a fluffy texture, the ground almonds can be subbed for extra flour if you sent it to be nut free.
Small batch lemon cupcakes
Fluffy lemon muffins with a cream cheese frosting
30g coconut oil, melted
zest and juice of half a lemon
1 large egg
2 tbsp milk
40g ground almonds
100g self raising flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
180g light cream cheese
50g icing sugar
1/2 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 170°c and line a muffin tray with liners.
- Add the coconut oil, honey, lemon zest and juice to abowl and mix together.
- Add the egg and milk and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Add the ground almonds, self raising flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and fold through.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared liners and bake for 10-12 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting add the cream cheese, icing sugar and lemon juice to a bowl and mix until just combined.
- Pipe on top of each cupcake.