I am officially on day 15 of Whole30…half way through! I have gotten over the “hump” as they say. I am definitely craving less “junk” food than I did before. I am satisfied with healthy snacks, such as the ones I mentioned in my previous blog about Whole30 snacks! I had a lot of fruit towards the beginning to satisfy my hunger cravings, but recently I am eating less fruit and more veggies. My craving for dessert has definitely decreased, but has by no means disappeared. Truly, I want to try to control my desire to bake, etc. That is what sparked my dessert craze in the first place. So while I am craving sweets less, I still want to bake more than anything…(sad face). However, I have had time to reflect on why that is. I wondered if it was because I was just addicted to dessert or just love to cook/try new recipes. I think it is a combination of both, but mostly I just love cooking so much. My next thought was how to I control this? Maybe after Whole30 I try and just bake for other people so I am not left to finish an entire cake myself. I will have to cross that bridge when it comes!
Let’s dive into my Whole30 lunch ideas! I am not a huge lunch fan, but I have definitely been very hungry during lunch time throughout these 15 days. Since I typically have my fruit with breakfast, and I really only meal prep my dinner items, I had to figure out easy things I could eat for lunch. Also, I need to make them travel friendly, as I bring my lunch to school on days I have class. Below are a few of my favorite lunch items:
- Egg Salad (featured)
- Copycat Starbucks protein box (veggie, nuts, hard-boiled egg)
- Salad with all my favorite fixings
- Omelet (on non-class days)
- Ground chicken curry (featured)
Triple Threat Egg Salad
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 1 tbs primal foods mayo
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix until combined.
- Use a spoon to scoop some onto cucumber slices.
Ground Chicken Curry
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 1 tbs almond butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Handful of basil, chiffonade
- Cook ground chicken in a medium skillet on medium-high heat until cooked through. Set aside.
- In another medium skillet, combine oil, onion, and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Once onion is translucent, add coconut milk, red curry paste, almond butter, and lime and stir to combine. Simmer until thickened, or about 10 minutes.
- Once sauce is thickened, add the ground chicken and basil into the sauce, and mix until combined.